The third installment of Choi’s Bak Kut Teh adventure in Singapore!
Wow Choi, you really like Bak Kut Teh.
Fuck yeah I do!
What is there NOT to like about Bak Kut Teh? It’s spicy, there’s protein, there’s broth, everything good in this world is in this peppery soup. Absolutely love this dish.
There’s a godzillion Bak Kut Teh’s in Singapore, and would be impossible for Choi to try it all. Therefore he just chose the top 3 to go to.
Next up on the list was Founder’s Bak Kut Teh.
Ravaging this beauty of a dish was something I was waiting for the entire work day. A
When 6PM hit I ran out the door, hopped onto a cab and went straight to the the restaurant.
On my way there I was pondering to myself – why is it called Founder’s Bak Kut Teh? Did this guy invent this fabulous dish? Well let’s dig out some facts about this restaurant:
- Restaurant has been around for 40 years – That’s crazy
- Flagship outlet is located in Balestier (operated by owner’s son)
- Owner’s name is Mr. Chua, used to be a pig farmer – Probably why his pork broth is so damn delicious.
- His recipes were self taught, so he called himself the founder
Cool. So he didn’t invent the dish, instead he “founded” his own recipe. But what is needed to get a good Pork Bone Soup?
- Per the Founder, 7 month old pigs are the best for pork bone soup – damn that’s young
- Any younger then the meat has less taste
- Too old and the color of the meat will be dark – what’s wrong with that though?
- You should drink tea before the soup, to enhance the flavor – really?
This dude sounds like he knows his shit.
OKAY, well let Choi try it out now!
- Two words. Fucking Delicious! However, I must say that the pork was not as tender as Song Fa. But if this was my first time eating this I would have been jumping off the walls. Fuck my life I need to find this in Hong Kong.
Seriously, this peppery soup is to die for. It would be sooooo good in winter too, help warm me up.
And that’s not even the best part. The best part is fucking unlimited refills of the soup.
Drank like three bowls of this motherfucker.
Drank it like a damn boss.
Celebrities seems to like this restaurant very much.
There’s like a wall of fame here.
Is that Jay Chou I see?
If this place is good enough for Jay Chou, it’s good enough for me!
So out of the three Bak Kut Teh restaurants..
Which one does Choi prefer?
This is what Choi thinks:
- Song Fa has the best Bak Kut Teh
- Founders has the second best Bak Kut Teh
- Rong Hua has the third best Bak Kut Teh – but the chicken feet is damn delicious
Song Fa simply has the best Bak Kut Teh!
Written from Singapore, Pan Pacific hotel on November 28, 2017